32A-23A-4. State early learning advisory council created; membership. (Repealed effective July 1, 2018.)
A. The "state early learning advisory council" is created. The council is attached to the department.
B. The council consists of fifteen members. The secretary of public education or the secretary's designee, the secretary of children, youth and families or the secretary's designee and the director of the head start state collaboration office of the department shall serve ex officio. The remaining members shall be qualified electors and, if appointment is not otherwise provided in this subsection, shall be appointed by the governor for four-year terms expiring on January 1 of the appropriate year. Council members appointed by the governor shall serve staggered terms as determined by the governor at the time of their initial appointment, and no more than five of the governor's appointees shall be from the same political party. Along with the ex-officio members, the council shall consist of the following members:
(1) one representative of an institution of higher education;
(2) one representative of a local educational agency;
(3) one representative from a head start or early head start organization;
(4) two providers of early care and education services, at least one of whom shall represent a privately owned provider;
(5) one representative of a state agency responsible for programs under Section 619 or Part C of the federal Individuals with Disabilities Education Act;
(6) one representative of the state agency responsible for children's health or mental health care issues;
(7) three members of the New Mexico business roundtable for educational excellence, appointed by and whose terms shall be set by the roundtable's board of directors; and
(8) two public members with knowledge and experience in early childhood care and education.
C. Annually, the members shall designate a chair and vice chair from the members of the council.
D. A majority of the members constitutes a quorum for the conduct of business. The council shall meet at the call of the chair, and the chair shall coordinate the activities of the council.
E. The council may form subcommittees or task forces needed to make recommendations to the council. Task force members may include individuals who are not members of the council but have an interest or expertise in early childhood education, health care or related matters.
F. Members of the council shall not be removed except for incompetence, neglect of duty or malfeasance in office. A vacancy in the membership of the council occurring other than by expiration of term shall be filled in the same manner as the original appointment, but for the unexpired term only.
G. Council members shall not be paid nor shall they receive per diem and mileage as provided in the Per Diem and Mileage Act [10-8-1 NMSA 1978].
History: Laws 2011, ch. 123, § 4.