Deputy Director of Federal Affairs
New Mexico Office of the Governor - Washington DC
Provide support services for the Governor’s Office and state agencies in their interactions with the federal government and analyze federal laws, policies and actions that affect the state. Support the D.C. Office in formulating and executing the Governor’s federal policy agenda. With the Director of Federal Affairs, serve as the Governor’s liaison to the New Mexico Congressional Delegation and represent the Governor in the National Governors Association (NGA), Western Governors’ Association (WGA), and other inter-state coalitions.
This position will be based in the Governor’s Washington DC office.
- Track, analyze, and report on issues of importance at the federal level that will impact the State of New Mexico.
- Summarize highly technical content in briefings for dissemination to colleagues, state agencies, congressional staff, and other external stakeholders.
- Facilitate communication and maintain relationships with federal agency contacts, governors’ state-federal liaisons from other states, and congressional staff.
- Act as a primary point of communication and coordination with staff of the New Mexico Congressional Delegation.
- Meet with state agencies to understand their needs and challenges in interaction with the federal government and develop recommendations to address those needs.
- Four years of experience in a related policy/political role
- Experience working with or for federal, state, or local government
- Knowledge of state and federal legislative and regulatory processes
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to multi-task while meeting deadlines
- High-level analytical and organizational skills
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Proficiency with remote meetings and remote meeting platforms
- Flexibility to participate in evening meetings when necessary
- Experience working for or with the state of New Mexico
- Five or more years of experience in a related policy/political role
- Experience developing and analyzing policy
- Experience with the annual federal appropriations process
Interested in the position? Let us know.
Get in touch with the Governor
Governor Michelle Lujan Grisham and her staff welcome your comments and concerns.
Connect with the Governor on Social Media
Follow the governor on social media in order to get the latest news and information.