Director: Mining and Minerals Division
Energy Minerals and Natural Resources Department
The Mining and Minerals Division Director directs and oversees the Division’s statewide statutory and regulatory responsibilities with respect to mining and mineral extraction including assuring the responsible utilization, reclamation and safeguarding of New Mexico’s lands affected by mining and is a leader in responsible mine operation and reclamation, as well as supervising 33 current staff, both technical and administrative, within the Division’s programs. Additionally, the Director serves as New Mexico’s representative to the Interstate Mining Compact Commission and is designee for the Cabinet Secretary on the Mine Safety Board. The position reports to the Cabinet Secretary of Energy, Minerals and Natural Resources and is appointed by the Governor.
- Responsible for the Division’s multi-million-dollar budget consisting of fees, state, and federal funds
- Responsible for policy initiatives and strategic planning for the Division
- Oversees federal grants and contracts
- Conducts mining-related legislative analysis, testimony, policy development, and program evaluation
- Coordinates and collaborates with various stakeholders including the public, mine operators, numerous state and federal agencies, tribes, and local governments in permitting, inspecting, enforcing, and safeguarding activities at mine sites statewide
- Directs and manages evaluations of permits and plans for administrative and technical adequacy
- Accepts responsibility for the approval/denial of mining associated permits and Director’s Orders related to the implementation of the NM Mining Act
- Reports to Energy, Minerals and Natural Resources Secretary on mining-related issues in New Mexico
- Develops and applies policies, rules, and regulations related to mining
- Working knowledge and understanding of mining, mine-related activities, and the New Mexico Mining Act
- Compelling interest in leadership development, human capital management, and/or organizational development
- Experience overseeing a complex budget
- Proven ability to use analytical skills to assess large volumes of qualitative and quantitative data, find patterns and core issues, and present fact-based recommendations
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including editing and public speaking
- Strong project management and organization skills, with proven ability to juggle multiple demands
Please send cover letter and resume using the form below.
Interested in the position? Let us know.
Get in touch with the Governor
Governor Michelle Lujan Grisham and her staff welcome your comments and concerns.
Connect with the Governor on Social Media
Follow the governor on social media in order to get the latest news and information.